What Is Vaniqa?
Vaniqa (eflornithine hydrochloride) is a prescription medication for the reduction of unwanted facial hair in women. Vaniqa contains the active substance eflornithine. Eflornithine slows down the growth of hair through its effect on a specific enzyme (a protein in the body involved in the production of hair).
Designed for application to the skin, Vaniqa should only be used on the face and adjacent areas under the chin of affected individuals. Results can be seen as early as 4-8 weeks when used twice a day, at least 8 hours apart. Tested in women of multiple ethnicities.
How to use
Always use this medicine exactly as your doctor has told you. Check with your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
Use twice a day, at least 8 hours apart.
If you experience irritation (e.g. stinging burning), reduce the use of Vaniqa to once daily until the irritation has gone. If it persists contact your doctor.
If you have just shaved or used any other hair removal method, wait at least 5 minutes before using Vaniqa. It may sting or burn if you put this cream on cut or irritated skin.
– Clean and dry the areas of the skin where you will be using the cream.
– Apply a thin layer of cream and rub it in thoroughly until no visual residual product remains on the treated areas.
– If possible, do not wash these areas of skin for 4 hours after applying the cream
– Wash your hands after applying the cream.
– Wait at least 5 minutes before using make-up or sunscreen on the same areas.
– When using on the face, avoid contact with your eyes or the inside of your nose or mouth. If you should accidentally get Vaniqa into your eyes, mouth or nose, rinse well with water.
Vaniqa is not a depilatory cream, so you may need to continue with your hair removal method, for example by shaving or plucking.
It may take 8 weeks before you see results. It is important to continue using the cream. If you do not see any improvement after using it for 4 months contact your doctor. If you stop using it your original hair growth may return within 8 weeks.