Differin is a gel treatment used for mild to moderate acne conditions. It contains the active ingredient Adapalene which is a type of Retinoid that has an anti-inflammatory effect to reduce soreness, irritation and to unclog pores.
It is used on the face, chest or back for acne, where the skin may have lots of blackheads, spots and pimples. Differin is only absorbed into the body in very small amounts, and has little effect, except on the surface of the skin.
You should not use if
- you are pregnant or planning a pregnancy
- you are allergic to Adapalene or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
How Is Differin Applied?
Please note that this medicine is for external use only.
Clean the area to be treated with a water- ensure that the skin is clean and dry before applying this medicine
Put a thin film of the cream with your fingertips on to the affected areas and gently rub in- ensure you wash your hands afterward
You should apply the treatment at night just before bed- unless your doctor has advised differently
The duration of your medication will be determined on how your acne improves. Once you have used this for 3 months, it is important to have a follow up with your doctor so that they can assess the improvement in your acne.
How long will it take Differin to work?
It will take 1-4 weeks before a noticeable improvement is seen in your skin. Often people stop treatment too soon as they think it is not working so it is important to continue your course as prescribed. If there is no improvement after 6-8 weeks you should consult your doctor again as they may need to review your treatment and find a suitable alternative for your condition.
Getting the most from your treatment
Following the tips below will help you get the best results from your treatment
- use a mild soap and lukewarm water to wash with- very hot or cold water can make acne worse
- If your skin becomes very dry, use a moisturizing cream (preferably a fragrance-free and water-based cream)- Avoid ointments or oil-rich creams, as these could clog your pores again
- You can use make-up and moisturisers but do not apply them at the same time as you use adapalene
- Try to avoid any skin products which exfoliate or dry your skin.
As your skin can become more sensitive to sunlight when taking Adapalene it is advised to apply this at night and wash off in the morning. Try to avoid strong sunlight and sunbeds and use a sun protection cream when you are outside.